About this test
Bacterial imbalances which start in the mouth don’t just stay in the mouth!
Our mouth has its own ecosystem made up of various habitats including the teeth, gums, tongue and tonsils which are all inhabited by bacteria, fungi and viruses. Research has shown that there are approximately 600 species in our oral cavity and the composition varies with age.
The majority of oral microbiota species exist within a complex multi-species structure termed the oral biofilm, or what we generally know as dental plaque. With regular oral hygiene this community of bacteria can be very stable.
The development of these oral biofilms is initiated by adherence of pioneer species to salivary proteins adsorbed onto tooth enamel. In healthy individuals, the oral biofilm is dominated by beneficial bacteria that maintain this balance or homeostasis through delicate interactions with host immunity and other microorganisms.
However, infection, injury, dietary changes and risk factors such as smoking can disrupt the balance of these species resulting in a disturbance or dysbiosis and an overgrowth of potentially harmful pathogenic bacteria. This can grow and contribute to pathologies such as dental caries or periodontitis, and other more systemic conditions of disease.
Why do the Oral Ecologix Profile?
Bacterial imbalances which start in the mouth don’t just stay in the mouth. Research has shown associations between periodontitis, dental caries, oral dysbiosis and conditions which include:
- IBD and IBS
- Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CS)
- Diabetes, Metabolic Syndrome and Obesity
- Bacterial Endotoxemia (LPS)
- Atherosclerotic Cardiovascular Disease
- Adverse pregnancy outcomes
- Cognitive impairment
- Oral cancer
- Rheumatoid arthritis
What is being measured?
The profile assesses:
- Abundance of commensal (beneficial) bacteria
- Abundance of caries-associated bacteria (causing tooth injury)
- Abundance of periodontitis-associated bacteria (causing oral inflammation)
- Parvimonas micra
- Lactobacillus spp.
- Treponema denticola
- Streptococcus mutans
- Eubacterium nodatum
- Aggregatibacter actinomycetemcomitans
- Porphyromonas gingivalis
- Campylobacter rectus
- Peptostreptococcus anaerobius
- Prevotella intermedia
- Tannerella forsythia
- Candida albicans
- Fusobacterium nucleatum
- Prevotella nigrescens
Type of specimen required for the test
This profile requires a saliva sample.
Returning your sample
Take the unpaid addressed mailing bag to the post office and send “Special Delivery Guaranteed by 1pm” on a Monday, Tuesday, or Wednesday only.
EU and outside of the EU:
We can arrange a courier collection or you can arrange your own if preferred.
Age range this test is suitable for
This test is suitable for all ages
Before taking this test
7 days prior to collecting sample:
- Discontinue (where possible) the use of pro-biotics.
48 hours prior to collecting sample:
- Please do the test after you have completed any short-term prescribed medication e.g. antibiotics.
24 hours prior to collecting sample:
- Do not take part in oral sex.
Day of collection:
- If wearing dental prothesis, do not apply fixing cream before collecting the sample.
- 30 minutes prior to collecting the sample do not: smoke, drink, eat, chew gum or brush teeth.
How long does it take to get my results?
20 working days
See a sample report below
Smart Nutrition Oral-ecologiX-2020 sample report