Melatonin is a hormone that controls the daily circadian rhythm and is best known for its role in helping to initiate sleep. Imbalances can also include depression, Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD), behavioural changes, mood disorders, and stress among others.
The Melatonin Profile is a convenient, non-invasive salivary assay that analyses the circadian secretion patterns of melatonin over a complete light-dark cycle. This profile can reveal abnormal levels of melatonin that relate to various physical and psychological symptoms as well as premature acceleration of the body’s aging process
The Role of Melatonin
Melatonin is synthesised within the pineal gland from tryptophan during the dark phase of the day.With its unique ability to pass through all blood barriers in the body, melatonin acts as the central hub of physiological function. Its role is to:
• Orchestrate the complex interactions between the mind, body and environment
• Influence most of the autonomic, hormonal, and behavioural functions of the human organism
• Advance sleep time and duration
• Modulate annual and circadian biorhythms (thereby reducing symptoms of jet- lag)
• Regulate body temperature
• Regulate cardiovascular function
• Regulate immune function, with a possible role in fighting cancer
• Act as an antioxidant
• Regulate female reproductive hormones
With the far-reaching influence of melatonin over so many bodily functions, it is not surprising that imbalances have been associated with a wide array of health problems, including:
• Sleep disorders
• Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD)
• Chronic progressive multiple sclerosis
• Menstrual irregularities
Melatonin’s synthesis and secretion can be strongly influenced by day length, artificial illumination, electromagnetic energy, exercise, seasonal changes, impairment in methionine metabolism and aging. Since synthesis and secretion are easily disrupted, accurate assessment of levels and circadian rhythm is critical.
What is being measured
3 (2ml) saliva samples collected over a 24-hour period
Before Taking this Test
One hour prior to collection do not eat, brush or floss your teeth, use mouthwash, chew gum or use any tobacco products.
You may drink ONLY water during this time.
– See instructions inside test kit for details
All sample reports are for representational and educational purposes only. Biomarkers, references ranges, results, and all other data may differ from actual reports. All data included in no way represents an actual patient. Any comparisons of results to actual patients, is completely incidental.rt